Tuesday 18 June 2013

Back from ICME3!

Hi Everyone,

I'm back from ICME3 in Jyväskylä, Finland ! 

Below are a few photos of me in action - presenting and with my poster! 

If you haven't already, you can download my paper from the conference proceedings: 

https://jyx.jyu.fi/dspace/handle/123456789/41627







The highlight of the conference for me, was without doubt, the keynote speech given by Professor Daniel Västfjäll http://www.decisionresearch.org/people/vastfjall/.  

He spoke about a concept called Emoacoustics is a research program which aims to determine the emotions aroused by music and sound/acoustics.  I am glad that Daniel is researching sounds and acoustics as within my own research I am investigated the role of sound effects in gambling environments.  Sounds and music are experienced in a wide range of everyday situations and as Daniel articulated within his talk sound-induced emotions can inform our decision-making and judgments.  

Moreover, I was really excited to learn about Daniel's recent experiment which has manipulated the underlying mechanisms as proposed in this article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18826699 to determine how and why we have emotional responses to music.    I think we had a sneak-preview of this research at the conference so am really looking forward to reading the journal article when it is published! 

I have returned from ICME3 with lots of ideas to consider for future research and will be hard at work to prepare for the 13th International Conference of Music Perception and Cognition (ICMPC) which will be held in South Korea next year.

Bye for now,

Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I have recently completed my PhD titled 'Exploring the presence, experience and influence of background music in gambling situations' at The University of Sheffield. My PhD research was supervised by Prof. Nicola Dibben and Dr. Richard Rowe. Prior to that I gained an MA in Psychology of Music at The University of Sheffield (2009) and completed my first degree in Music at the University of Leeds (2005). I conduct research within the fields of psychology of music and gambling studies.